Thursday, April 5, 2012

Being Twitter-versed


While there are websites, blogs, podcasts, etc. that stress the usefulness of Twitter in business and education, I wanted to take a few moments to share how I use Twitter in my classroom.  As a teacher and school leader, I am relatively new to the Twitter game, but it has had a meaningful impact on how I view my world. 

Professional Development
As a tool for professional development, nothing can beat Twitter.  Gone are the days of the old sit-and-get professional development. With Twitter, I can find the professional development that I need and that I want without much searching.  With Twitter, the professional development comes to me; albeit it comes to me 24 hours a day!  This, however, is a good thing.  When we as teachers and leaders stop thinking about PD as a full day in the auditorium, we can really start catering to the needs of the teachers and ultimately the students. 

Professional Learning Community
While my district has structurally manufactured times for small teams to meet on a regular basis, I have found that Twitter has expanded my community outside the walls of my school.  While I follow my colleagues and they follow me, I also follow many other people in the educational world.  With this constant ability to share information amongst each other, I have found myself sharing with the history department at our school more than I ever had before.  This is a real professional learning community. 

Communication/Collaboration
As a teacher, I was hesitant about using Twitter because of all the “old fears.”  What I’ve found, though, is that the students who follow me appreciate the updates I give about grades, assignments, and projects.  Along with those updates, though, the students also get insight into my profession.  They receive my tweets about using the Common Core.  They receive my tweets about using video games in the classroom.  And the more they can see me as a teacher who is constantly learning and sharing, they too will become people who are constantly learning and sharing.  This is true communication and collaboration! 

Well, enough for today.  Find my name @SSullivanLHS on Twitter and follow me if you would like to become part of a growing community of educators committed to excellent teaching and leadership. 

No comments:

Post a Comment