Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Keeping it Simple!

As the end of the school year is upon us, I'm noticing a wide range of changes that are taking place in my own school district.  With budget cuts already causing discussion and the uncertainty of class schedules and teacher placements weighing heavily on our shoulders, I'm reminded of some simple advice an administrator gave to me several years ago: Keep It Simple...Shane!

These words echo in my mind at the end of each school year when the pressure begins to build, but this year I hear them louder than ever before.  And in looking to next year, here's how I'll keep it simple:
  • Keep a simple focus on the "stuff" that needs to be finished by the end of the year.  Grades, report cards, and goodbyes are all part of the job.  
  • Reflect on the successes of the year and don't dwell on the failures. 
  •  Identify some simple things to improve upon for next year.  (I'll probably make a list and keep in in my wallet or iPad or phone so I don't forget!)
  • Don't sweat the small stuff!  
I suppose these things might seem like common sense, but when the hustle and bustle of our daily lives starts to take over,  it's comforting to be reminded of these simple ideas.  Sometimes, keeping it simple can take us a long way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment